1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup (½ stick) chilled margarine, cut into small pieces
½ cup low-fat cottage cheese
¼ cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
¾ cup chopped peeled apple
½ cup raisins (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Mix well.
3) Using a pastry blender or 2 knives; cut margarine into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
4) In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese, yogurt, and egg. Mix well.
5) Add to flour mixture; stir until just combined. Stir in apple, and raisins.
6) On floured surface, pat dough to a ½ inch thickness. Using a 2 inch round biscuit cutter, cut out 9 biscuit forms.
7) Place scones, 2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
8) Place baking sheet on a wire rack. Cool slightly and serve warm.
*To make your scones flaky- make sure the margarine is very cold so that the fat, and flour mixture can form little nuggets before the liquid ingredients are added.
*If you do not have a biscuit cutter, you can use the top of a glass or jar lid.
By: Cheri Cola