Enjoy these rich antioxidant blueberry-lemon scones without tons of fat. Their rich buttery taste will melt in your mouth.
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup sweetened applesauce
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1 ½ – 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¾ confectioners’ sugar
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Put flour in large bowl. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the flour in a small bowl. Add granulated sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt to large bowl with flour. Cut in butter with pastry blender or hands until fine crumbs form.
2) Combine buttermilk and applesauce. Gradually mix with dry ingredients, stirring gently to form dough. Toss berries with reserved flour in a small bowl and gently fold into batter. (Mix well, but do not overwork.) Separate into 2 equal portions.
3) Flour a clean surface and your hands. Press dough into two 1” – thick rounds. Cut each round into 6 wedges.
4) Transfer scones to prepared baking sheets. Bake until firm to the touch and golden brown on top, approx. 15 – 18 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
5) Prepare glaze: In a small bowl, gradually mix lemon juice and confectioner’s sugar. Drizzle over scones.
By: Savannah Cole